[nap_names id="FIRM-NAME-2"]

​Experienced ILLINOIS Workers’ Compensation Lawyers
& CHICAGO Injury Lawyers

Loss of Use of Body Parts

Chicago Lawyers for Claims Involving Loss of Use of Body Parts

City of Chicago workers perform a wide range of jobs in service of the city and its many residents. Unfortunately, some of these jobs involve dangerous work that can result in amputations or other grievous injuries that necessitate removal. If you are a City of Chicago worker who lost use of a body part on the job, you need the best legal representation you can get. You should give the seasoned Chicago workers’ compensation attorneys of Katz, Friedman, Eisenstein, Johnson, Bareck & Bertuca a call. We have more than 60 years of experience advocating for workers, and we have a track record of success.

Loss of Use of Body Parts

Permanent partial disability benefits may be appropriate where you lose use of a body part, but you have not lost use of two particular limbs or eyes. If you suffer a work-related amputation as a City of Chicago worker, you may be entitled to permanent partial disability benefits. Loss of specific body parts is determined according to a schedule that covers varying numbers of week based on the particular body part lost; the maximum number of weeks corresponds with physical losses or the permanent loss of use of the body part. If you suffer a partial loss of use of a body part, a percentage of the maximum number of weeks will be assigned to pay the benefits.

A schedule determines the timeframe of partial disability pay. For instance, if you lose your thumb while performing maintenance work for the City of Chicago, you may be entitled to 76 weeks of benefits. Similarly, if you lose a foot in an accident suffered while driving a city truck to make a delivery, you may be entitled to 167 weeks of disability pay. If your arm was crushed while performing custodial tasks for the City and you are unable to use it any longer, you can recover benefits for 253 weeks. Likewise if you lose hearing in both your ears while performing work due to deafening sound and a lack of sound protection, you may be entitled to loss of use benefits.

There are numerous covered body parts, though soft tissue injuries are not likely enough to qualify, and you should consult an experienced lawyer about whether you’re eligible for this kind of benefit. It’s especially crucial to be cautious about lump sum settlements.


Your permanent partial disability pay rate is equal to 60% of your average weekly wage. This rate will be increased by 10% for each minor child and your spouse, but it can’t be more than your average weekly wage or be more than 100% of your total minimum wage calculation, whichever comes out to be less. You cannot get permanent partial disability benefits that are more than your average weekly wage, but there are situations in which a worker’s average weekly wage is miscalculated by the city. Accordingly, it is wise to retain a lawyer to handle your claim and navigate these potential disputes with your best interests at heart.

The City should pay your statutory permanent partial disability benefits as soon as it knows the extent of your amputation. There is no grace period for these payments. However, you should not assume that the City knows the extent of your injuries simply because they are the result of a work accident. You should take care to provide notice to the City of the work accident and your injuries and seek proper medical care right away.

Consult a Seasoned Chicago Vehicle Accident Lawyer

If you are concerned about loss of use of body parts on the job working for the City of Chicago, you should give our Chicago workers’ compensation lawyers a call. Our firm represents workers in Aurora, Champaign, Rockford, Quincy, as well as Sangamon, Winnebago, Kane, Cook, and Adams Counties. We handle third party lawsuits and Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) claims as well. We have you covered, not only in simple cases but also those that may involve complex dynamics and nuances within how the City handles claims as a self-insured entity. Call us at 312-724-5846 or complete our online form.