[nap_names id="FIRM-NAME-2"]

​Experienced ILLINOIS Workers’ Compensation Lawyers
& CHICAGO Injury Lawyers

Winnebago County Attorneys to Pursue Damages for Car Accidents

Winnebago is a county in Illinois with a population of 285,350 as of the 2020 census. It covers 519 square miles. Car accidents in Winnebago County could occur on streets or one of its two interstate highways (I-39 and I-90), two highways (U.S. highway 20 or U.S. highway 51), or five state routes (Illinois Route 2, Illinois Route 70, Illinois Route 75, Illinois Route 173, or Illinois Route 251). Whether you suffered broken bones or paralysis or head injuries in an accident, you should call the trustworthy Winnebago County car accident lawyers of Katz, Friedman, Eisenstein, Johnson, Bareck & Bertuca to determine whether you have a viable claim. We possess more than 60 years of experience representing clients who have been injured in accidents and need to file a personal injury lawsuit, SSDI claim, or workers’ compensation claim, and we bring the full weight of that experience to bear on our current clients’ cases.

Liability for Car Accidents in Winnebago County

Car crashes can cause significant injuries including damage to the spine, the back, the head, the brain, and the bones. Sometimes these injuries are catastrophic, meaning they change your life permanently. For example, if you suffer an amputation or paralysis, you may no longer be able to be mobile or ambulatory in the same way. You may require not only immediate medical care, but also lifelong doctor’s visits and therapy in order to function in your daily life. You may not be able to do the same job, or you may lose out on the ability to enjoy your life in the same ways, such as if you play recreational sports or have other hobbies that require full use of a particular body part that’s been damaged.

It’s appropriate for the party responsible for your injuries (or a loved one’s death) to bear responsibility for the financial and emotional fallout of the car accident. We can investigate the accident to determine all contributing causes to the accident. In filing the lawsuit, we will need to show: (1) you were owed a standard of reasonable care by the defendant, (2) that standard was breached, (3) actual and proximate cause, and (4) damages.

All drivers must abide by a standard of reasonable care to avoid causing injuries to others, whether pedestrians or other drivers, with whom they share the road. Unfortunately, drivers frequently depart from the standard of reasonable care by speeding, driving under the influence, driving while distracted, driving recklessly, or tailgating. A driver might breach the duty to use reasonable care by failing to obey a “yield” sign when merging onto a road, for instance.

Illinois follows a rule of modified comparative negligence. Under this rule, the jury will determine the total damages you suffered, but will also examine your conduct to determine whether you were negligent and contributed to your own injuries with your behavior. For instance, if you were speeding, the jury may find you were partially to blame for a collision at an intersection even if the other driver failed to come to a complete stop at a stop sign. When a jury finds that you were at least 50% to blame for the accident, you cannot recover any damages.

Lawyers to Recover Damages After a Car Accident in Winnebago County

Damages that may be recovered after a car accident are typically compensatory. They may encompass economic and noneconomic losses. Items of damage we could recover on your behalf may include medical bills, lost wages, out-of-pocket expenses, loss of earning capacity, pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, and loss of consortium.

Consult a Winnebago County Car Accident Attorney

You may feel confused about where to turn and whether you have recourse after a car crash. If you were injured or a loved one died in a crash, call the experienced Winnebago County truck accident lawyers of Katz, Friedman, Eisenstein, Johnson, Bareck & Bertuca to figure out your legal options. Call us at 312-724-5846 or fill out our online form.