​Experienced ILLINOIS Workers’ Compensation Lawyers
& CHICAGO Injury Lawyers

Sangamon County Speeding Accidents

Sangamon County Lawyer for Speeding Accidents

Sangamon County, Illinois, which was named for the river that runs through it, covers 877 square miles. Speed limits vary depending on the type of street in the county. In general, the maximum speed limit is 70 miles per hour on interstate highways like Interstate 55, when outside urban areas. It is 65 miles per hour on rural interstates, and 55 miles per hour on interstate highways near or in major cities like Springfield and on other highways. In urban areas, it is 30 miles per hour except when a different speed limit is posted. It is not acceptable for any vehicle to drive on a highway at a speed that’s greater than is considered reasonable and proper based on traffic, and drivers are not supposed to travel at speeds that endanger the safety of any person or property. If you were injured in a crash or collision, you should call the trustworthy Sangamon County speeding accident lawyers of Katz, Friedman, Eisenstein, Johnson, Bareck & Bertuca.

Liability for Speeding

One common reason for car accidents is speeding. These accidents may involve quite a bit of force exerted on the vehicles involved and can result in serious or catastrophic injuries. They occur when a driver travels too fast based on traffic and weather. In some cases, these accidents involve rear-ending; the car that is rear-ended may plow into the car in front of him or her, resulting in a multi-vehicle pile-up. In other cases, a driver loses control of the vehicle because he is traveling so fast and may crash into other cars around him.

Even drivers who travel at the posted speed limit may be speeding when the traffic or weather dictate slower speeds. For instance, if a driver is driving at 60 on I-55 could be inappropriate, even if the posted speed limit is higher if the road is icy or there isn’t enough room between cars to drive so fast.

In order to establish another driver’s fault for a speeding accident, we will need to prove it’s more likely than not: (1) the other driver owed a duty of reasonable care, (2) the other driver breached the duty of reasonable care by speeding, (3) causation, and (4) actual damages. Sometimes when a driver has traveled over the posted speed limit, this can be prima facie evidence that the other driver was negligent. A citation may be helpful to establish negligence. However, that evidence can be rebutted by the defendant’s attorney if he can show that under the circumstances the other driver acted reasonable. It is crucial to retain a seasoned lawyer who is able to counter any such defenses.

It is common for defendants to turn around and blame an accident victim for his or her injuries. Under the doctrine of modified comparative negligence, your damages can be reduced by an amount equal to your degree of fault even if the other driver was speeding. If the other side is able to establish that you were 50% or more responsible for the accident, you may be barred from recovering damages. If there are multiple drivers involved in a speeding accident, it may be necessary to retain an accident reconstruction expert to determine precisely how much at fault each party was.

Damages for Speeding Accidents

If our attorneys are able to establish a defendant’s liability for a speeding accident, we can recover compensatory damages. These are damages meant to put you back in the position you would have been had the defendant not been speeding. They can include medical bills, lost wages, loss of earning capacity, replacement services, loss of enjoyment of life, and pain and suffering.

Consult a Sangamon County Speeding Accident Attorney

If you were injured or a loved one died due to another driver speeding, you should consult the seasoned Sangamon County speeding accident lawyers of Katz, Friedman, Eisenstein, Johnson, Bareck & Bertuca. Our firm has fought for best results for accident victims over the course of more than 60 years. We handle SSDI benefits and workers’ compensation claims, as well. Call us at 312-724-5846 or complete our online form.