[nap_names id="FIRM-NAME-2"]

​Experienced ILLINOIS Workers’ Compensation Lawyers
& CHICAGO Injury Lawyers

DuPage County Lawyers for Car Accidents

DuPage County, located in Illinois, has a population of 932,877. It covers an area of 336 square miles. The county is served by five interstate highways (I-55, 88, 290, 294, and 355), three United States highways (U.S. 20, 34, and 66), and nine Illinois Routes (IL 19, 38, 53, 56, 59, 64, 83, 110, and 390), along with the Army Trail Road and the Stearns Road. If you sustained injuries in a crash or collision with another car, you should call the trustworthy DuPage County car accident attorneys of Katz, Friedman, Eisenstein, Johnson, Bareck & Bertuca. Our firm has over 60 years of experience representing clients who have been injured that we can put to work for you in a personal injury lawsuit or SSDI or workers’ compensation claim.

Attorneys to Prove Liability for Car Accidents in DuPage County

Car accidents can result in catastrophic injuries like amputations, traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, back injuries, and broken bones and fractures. These can be very expensive to treat. You may find yourself unable to pay hospital bills and medical expenses. As these bills mount, you may not be able to work, just when you most need a steady and sufficient income. Similarly, if a loved one dies, you may need to pay funeral expenses and you may struggle to pay a mortgage or other expenses you shared with the decedent. The party responsible for your injuries or a loved one’s death should have to bear the costs.

In order to recover damages on your behalf in a personal injury lawsuit, we will need to prove: (1) the defendant owed you a duty of reasonable care, (2) the defendant breached the duty to use reasonable care, (3) causation, and (4) actual damages. The defendant may breach the duty to use reasonable care by tailgating, speeding, failing to obey traffic signs and signals, drunk driving, driving while distracted, driving aggressively, or failing to yield. These elements need to be proven by a preponderance of the evidence, meaning we will need to gather enough evidence to show these elements more likely than not exist. For example, if we can gather enough evidence to show the defendant ran a red light and that this is what caused a crash in which you suffered a traumatic brain injury, we will be able to recover damages on your behalf. Another example of negligence would be if another driver is weaving and sideswipes your car on I-88, causing you to crash and suffer broken legs and a back injury.

After an accident, the other driver’s insurance adjustor may approach you. That person may seem friendly, but in most cases, he or she is trying to get evidence of your negligence so that the insurance company can avoid paying you. Illinois follows a rule of modified comparative negligence. Under this rule, the jury will determine the total damages, and also assess your proportionate degree of fault for the accident. Your damages will be reduced by an amount equal to your degree of fault, but if you are 50% or more at fault, you will be barred from recovering at all.

Recovering Damages After a Car Accident

Generally, the worse your injuries, the greater the damages award to which you’ll be entitled. For example, if you suffer catastrophic injuries like traumatic brain injuries, you may be unable to work and you may have substantial medical bills. You may be in severe pain, and you may lose your ability to do the things that make your life enjoyable, things like sports, art, hobbies, or volunteer work. These are items of loss that we may be able to recover on your behalf as part of a damages award.

Consult a DuPage County Car Accident Lawyer

If you were injured in a crash or a loved one died as a result of an accident, you need skillful legal representation. Call the experienced DuPage County car accident attorneys of Katz, Friedman, Eisenstein, Johnson, Bareck & Bertuca to handle your personal injury lawsuit, SSDI claim, or workers’ compensation claim. Call us at 312-724-5846 or fill out our online form.